Re: XMLLiterals and language

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>I am not at all convinced that this issue is irrelevant outside the
>semantic web domain. e.g. a text-to-speech system should, pronounce
>english words quite differently when in an italian mode, since italian
>speakers typically use italian pronounciation rules for english words
>being used in italian sentences. As an English mother-tongue speaker,
>with reasonable italian the most difficult sentences I find to
>understand are such mixed sentences.

>Abbiamo fatto questo lavoro per il progetto
>
>the words "question how" are pronounced quite differently from in
>English (even when the mother tongue italian speaker is a fluent english
>speaker). (bitter experience here!)

I did not mean to say that the distinction between
context-language/specific language could not be meaningful outside the
semantic web. But if I wrote a German book called "Semantic Web" I
certainly wouldn't describe it with

<ex:Book rdf:about="#semBook">
<dc:title rdf:parseType="Literal">
</dc:title>
<ex:Book>

if this says that the title should be pronounced with a German accent.
But I'd like the following to express that the German title of the book
consists of English words (which is relevant for text-to-speech systems).

<ex:Book rdf:about="#semBook">
<dc:title rdf:parseType="Literal" xml:lang="de"><span
xml:lang="en">Semantic Web</span></dc:title>
<ex:Book>

Supposing ex:Book is defined as the abstraction over the different
translations of a book (i.e. "Das Kapital" and "Capital" are the same
ex:Book) the following should express the title of the book in different
translations:

<ex:Book rdf:about="#semBook">
<dc:title rdf:parseType="Literal" xml:lang="de"><span
xml:lang="en">Semantic Web</span></dc:title>
<dc:title rdf:parseType="Literal" xml:lang="en">Semantic Web</dc:title>
<dc:title rdf:parseType="Literal" xml:lang="fr">Web sématique</dc:title>
<ex:Book>

I'm aware that this could be expressed on a graph level using a more
complex vocabulary. However given that properties defined in many
vocabularies make perfect sense both with plain- and with xhtml-literals
they should be usable in a similar way. While one could argue that a
rdfs:description is not meant to be layouted html, at least marking a
foreign-language quotation within the rdfs:description so that
text-to-speech systems can read it correctly seems something that should
be promoted and implementable in an easy and standardized way.

reto