Re: N-Triples Parser for Python

On Oct 19, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Sean B. Palmer wrote:

> I know I've written several N-Triples parsers before, but this one has
> been particularly carefully crafted:
>
>    http://inamidst.com/proj/rdf/ntriples.py
>    - N-Triples Parser in python, 2004-10
>
> It takes in buffered streams, deploys a customised readline method to
> parse N-Triples's CRLF/CR/LF line-endings, does a recursive descent
> parse on the lines, and then does string unescaping in as
> specification compliant a manner as possible.

Very nice. Let me know if you'd like me to include it in the rdflib
releases -- I'd be happy to maintain it.

> But I'm announcing this mainly because it's the first glimpse of the
> fruits of a new labour of mine: both Daniel 'eikeon' Krech [BCC'd] and
> I have been working on Python RDF APIs independently for some years
> now, and we're finally just *starting* to look at one another's work.
> Having done a prima facie comparison of our major toolkits, rdflib [1]
> and pyrple [2], I've come to the conclusion that they both make up for
> one another's deficiencies well, and that a joint effort--if
> possible--might be an excellent step forwards for RDF in Python.

I agree. They are quite complimentary and make for a quick step
forwards for RDF in Python if we are able to join forces. Looking
forward to discussing this further with you.

> If any folk--especially rdflib and pyrple users--have comments, ideas,
> or requests about any of the things mentioned in this email, they'd be
> very gratefully received.

Thank you Sean for sparking this thread and all for your replies thus
far. It is nice to see how people are using rdflib and ideas for how it
can be improved.

Looking forward to a stronger Python in RDF effort,
eikeon, http://eikeon.com/