Re: Some fuzzy with cardinality restriction vs complex property in OWL

Yuzhong Qu wrote:
> The OWL S&AS says:
>
> To preserve decidability of reasoning in OWL Lite, not all properties
> can have cardinality restrictions placed on them or be specified as
> functional or inverse-functional. An individual-valued property is
> complex if
> 1/ it is specified as being functional or inverse-functional,
> 2/ _there is some cardinality restriction that uses it,_
> 3/ it has an inverse that is complex, or
> 4/ it has a super-property that is complex.
> Complex properties cannot be specified as being transitive.
>

> It seems OK, but some mistiness arises when diving into the deeps.
>
> We know that:
>
> someValuesFrom(owl:Thing) is logically equivalent to minCardinality(1)
>
> and someValuesFrom(SomeNonEmptyClass) logically implies minCardinality(1)

I am not sure that is true. Isn't it correct that:

- someValuesFrom(owl:Thing) simply means that *if* there are values *then* at least one
myst be from owl:Thing, whereas minCardinality(1) means that there *must* be at least one
value?

and the same for the second statement?

--

Ivan Herman
W3C Communications Team, Head of Offices