Multi-purpose documents? (Was: 3023 update (Was: <TAG stuff>))

[Moving from www-tag to www-rdf-interest]

At 03:54 21/11/04 -0500, Dan Brickley wrote:
>So RDF files are typically served application/rdf+xml though often
>they have a "dominant namespace" whose presence drives the data
>structures, with other namespaces typically being somewhat
>annotational in their use.

While I agree with this observation, I do wonder if it's mainly indicative
of the immature state of RDF usage?

I could imagine that in an environment where RDF is widely used, more
documents served may not have a clear single purpose.  Consider the example
of documents using Foaf, which have been presented as capturing the sorts
of things that might appear on a home page.  It seems to me that, over
time, the Foaf content (and structural dominance) of such pages may become
relatively insignificant.

(Compared with XML, I happen to think that one of RDF's big contributions
is syntactically well-defined mixing and combination of vocabularies, so I
think the RDF experience here could (should?) turn out differently to the
XML experience.)

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: