Re: I guess it's a stupid questions.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > I would be quite surprised if I were the only person on this planet with
> > this problem...

> Oh, you are not.

Aye - another +1 here.

> And I have to add, context is important not only in terms of location
> (space) but also version (time).

> reifications and that I think that the fact that they are not practical
> might be a matter of implementation, not of a spec.

Implementation of some form of Context - be it source, provenance, time,
version - and beeing able to address a set of facts/triples by means of
say, the file/uri they came from, in facts makes the creation of practical
tools required for an actual operational system much easier.

> I think it would be a mistake to specify what context is by harcoding
> one more metadata field to every statement. What next? what about
> licensing restrictions on the time about the change of the context of
> the statement?
>
> the queries will get hairy, agreed, but context is something you know
> when you query, what you know where you enter data is just metadata
> about statements, and that's exactly what reification is all about.

Context is hairy - the real world is hairy - but that is not a reason not
to go out and tackle it ;)

Dw.