Re: Partially defined concepts

Hi,

I wasn't going to answer, as I'm still learning schema stuff and I may be
wrong.  But if I am then it would be useful for me to be corrected by others.  :-)

Ander Altuna/LABEIN wrote:
> Then a company decides to extend the schema and create two new kinds of
> employee based on the previous class but with some concrete information
> about them, that is their nationality.
>
>       <rdf:description rdf:about="http://example.org#australian">
>             <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://example.org#employee"/>
>             <rdf:type rdf:resource="&rdfs;Class"/>
>             <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://example.org#employee"/>
>             <example:nationality>australian</example:nationality>
>       </rdf:description>

The way I understand it, this is a class (a subclass of employee) and not an
instance.  It has type "&rdfs;Class", but it does not have type "employee".

An employee *instance* that has type "australian" will also have type
"employee", but this is not an instance of an employee... it's a class
describing employees.

Also, I believe that it's acceptable to leave out that "australian" has type
"Class", because it is a subclass, and therefore must be of type class.  (On
the other hand, you might not want to use an inferencer, in which case you
could leave it in).

--
Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Tucana Technologies              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
                                  http://www.tucanatech.com

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")