Re: InverseFunctional properties are the new URI?

Sandro Hawke wrote:

>>Actually, I think I'll disagree with myself before anyone else does.
>>Taking Dan's point, the ordering could well be IFP > no URI/IFP > URI
>>because the URI is in no way a property of the described object whereas
>>all other properties are.
>

> Why isn't something's URI an IFP property of the thing?   TimBL calls

It is I guess, and I'm sure there are other properties which are not
intrinsic to an object (e.g. catalog no. for a DVD). URIs are only the
most convenient (in my ordering) if the same one is widely used for the
same object. Perhaps I should smush URI and IFP into one.

Simon

> that property log:uri, I think.   For a while, I generalized it
> slightly to u:uname [1].
>
>      -- sandro
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/12/uname/

Simon Price, Technical Consultant, Internet Development Group
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/aboutus/staff?search=ecsnp