Re: SIMILE Store Report

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:50:33AM +1000, Andrew Newman wrote:
> Ryan Lee wrote:
> >
> >The SIMILE Project put together a report on the current state of triple
> >store applications' performance at a medium scale as a preliminary step
> >towards determining which store might fit our project needs best at a
> >larger scale.
> >
> >XHTML and PDF versions of the report can be found at
> >
> >  http://simile.mit.edu/reports/stores/
> >
> >Feedback and comments are appreciated.
> >

> Actually, the other rather strange result is:
>
>                                   Configure
> KowariITQLHybridModel  (Network)  80304
> KowariLocalModel       (Local)    2166
>
> Now, this time the network one is slower but by 78 seconds.  This seems
> excessive even for RMI.  I'd suspect that the same queries are not being
> done in the network version.

First of all I'd like to thank Lee for the report, it's interesing
reading.

It could be that the queries are unusually small, in 3store the networking
overhead can become the biggest factor if the queries are unusually simple,
eg:

or things of that kind. The time to execute the query will be < 1ms, but
the HTTP request overhead is close to 2ms.

- Steve