Re: Semantic E-mail

I may also have to hit the DL books, but I think that's right: I
believe that what the definition means by "same property extension" is
that the pairs are the same, but not necessarily the semantics.

I.e. if property X and property Y always occur together, then
equivalentProperty holds between them, even if X does not mean the same
as Y.

Similarly for classes --- equivalentClass means that they have the same
members, but may not mean the same thing. E.g. 'hasYChromosome' and
'isMale' for humans (please forgive the bad example).

In the case of mapping between ontologies, then, this might be enough
--- I'm sure it depends on the problem domain. For something like a
message ID, it might even be the best solution --- each standard has
slightly different meanings, but the interpretation is the same.

I agree with your warning about owl:sameAs --- it does apply to
individuals. Again, in mapping between ontologies it would be useful in
referring to shared instances (perhaps senders of messages, for
example).

This is an interesting topic... I'm sure there must be a good (and
decidable!) way of doing it!

-Richard