Re: Fracturing of identifiers (How many "The Matrix" are there?)

On Feb 10, 2004, at 01:56, ext Sandro Hawke wrote:

>> dmoz.org has identifiers for movies, and so does tap.stanford.edu.
>> For examp
>> le,
>> dmoz.org uses "Top/Arts/Movies/Titles/M/Matrix_Series/Matrix,_The"
>> and tap.stanford.edu uses "http://tap.stanford.edu/data/MovieMatrix"
>> and there may be others.
>>
>> I don't see any of these sites using triples that say one is
>> owl:sameAs the
>> other.
>>
>> Who is actually supposed to be responsible for sameAs assertions?
>> dmoz.org?
>> TAP?  Or some third party?
>
> No one is responsible, but lots will benefit if each side does it, and
> maybe some others, too.
>
>> Is this in practice a showstopper for useful semantic web searches?
>> (This may be FAQ but I couldn't find it.)
>
> The flip side is that you CAN say owl:sameAs on the Semantic Web.
>
>       -- sandro

Right, and it is issues such as these that provide opportunities
for the development of services which add value to knowledge
harvested from the web -- by categorizing/qualifying/equating
according to some unifying ontology/ontologies, which results
in more effective knowledge discovery.

Patrick

--

Patrick Stickler