Re: Time-sensitive resources using RDF?

* Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org> [2004-12-21 10:41-0500]

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Danny Ayers wrote:
>

> >On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:43:37 +0200, Lisa Seeman <lisa@ubaccess.com> wrote:
> >
> >Thanks Lisa, it was actually Wei Xing at the top of the thread that's
> >looking into these issues. My own relationship with time-sensitivity
> >at the moment is listening to deadlines whoosh by ;-)
> >
> >> I have been looking into representing time-sensitive resources using RDF ,
> >> but for a very different application - multi media resources.
> >
> >Right, yes I see time is pretty significant there. Aw, I can't find
> >the link - the nearest I've encountered to this - someone, as part of
> >their thesis I think, had done a neat little Java app which associated
> >a piece of music with annotations over time, a like a score done in
> >RDF with a graphic UI.
>
> There is a professor in Milan who has done this - somewhere deep in my
> archives I may have a link to his work - I saw it in 2000.
>
> Dan Brickley and I also looked at annotating SMIL, so using SMIL to
> provide the timestamps as URIs. Again, this was a couple of years ago at
> least and I will have to look to see whether we ever wrote it up properly. I
> remember explaining it on a spanish list, so I suspect that means we never
> wrote up the examples and published them, but if you are familiar with SMIL
> (the basic bits) then our work on annotating SVG (which is on the web) should
> make it obvious what we were thinking and how we were doing it.

I've been waiting for the TimedText format to stabilise before
revisiting this space, but it has increasingly appeal to me. I also
think TT will be great for language learning, especially if the words in
the TT can be linked to (eg. Wordnet, or W3C Multimodal) electronic
lexicons somehow.

The SWAD-Europe experiment came out of that meeting we had on images and
accessibility in Bristol summer 2002, some notes and raw materials are at:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200207/imgann/possible-annotations.html

http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/photos/2002/06/27/thumb-002283.JPG
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200206/imagemeta/smilanno/esw-davep.mp3
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200206/imagemeta/smilanno/
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200206/imagemeta/smilanno/esw-davep.smi

the latter had a bad link to the mp3, from when moved it to w3c. I have
just fixed it to do relative links and am happy to say that it plays
ok in realplayer now, apart from some over-printing of the subtitles.
Enough to give folks the idea anyway.

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200206/imagemeta/smilanno/en-esw-davep-caption.rt
is the format that W3C's TimedText work will eventually
succeed/compliment...

For time-sensitive stuff, you could do something similar but use a movie
instead of a static image. This SMIL should give folks a rough
copy/paste-able start, perhaps...

cheers,

danbri