Re: rdf stores for use with cheap hosting accounts

Hi Steve,

Steve Harris writes:

 > On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:03:49AM +0100, Phil Dawes wrote:
 > > PHP appears to use database connection pooling, so a PHP rdfstore
 > > backing onto mysql or berkeley store would be good.  The other
 > > possibility would be to run a process that communicaties with the CGI
 > > internally, but I'm not sure whether that would be possible with other
 > > accounts.
 >
 > Version 1 of 3store was written in PHP+MySQL (for the reasons you gave),
 > performance was OK (few tens of milliseconds per query), but I moved to C
 > before I implmented RDQL queries, so its not much use (version 1 used
 > OKBC over HTTP, which is painful).
 >
 > You're welcome to the code if you think it will help.

That would be cool - thanks.

 > If you want high performance then porting the query translation code
 > in version 2 from C to PHP would be better, and not too hard.

Sounds like a good idea.

 > If you have the ability to install binaries then putting a PHP wrapper
 > around the 3store v2 commandline query tools would be easy and efficient.

Ideally I'd like something that would work on any cheap web hosting
service, since I want to develop semanticweb infrastructure tools for
use in this sort of environment. I suspect that the ability to install
binaries doesn't satisfy this criteria (but I might be wrong).
Having said that, doing this will get me started.

Many thanks,

Phil