RE: [joseki-announce] ANN: Veudas v0.3 - Joseki Support

Seaborne, Andy writes:
 > Phil,
 >
 > A nice message to find in all the junk from a week on vacation ...

And yours is a nice one to get back from my holiday from as well :)

 > > From: Phil Dawes <>
 > >
 > > In particular, I couldn't find any way to do optional queries, so
 > > Veudas has to do multiple queries to fetch optional labels and schema
 > > information. (the main view panel requires 7 queries to Sesame's 2).
 >
 > Have you tried using the "fetch" query langauage?  Its appraoch is very
 > different from RDQL or SeRQL.  The idea is to ask a knowledge base for what
 > it knows about <x>.  What is returned is up to the server - the client does
 > not control the results in the same way the matching subgraph of Joseki or
 > the rules based CONSTRUCT of SeRQL does.  The client gets back a model and
 > then looks inside to see what's returned.
 >
 > The Joseki server can be controlled with differenbt "fetch" handlers.  There
 > is a common one, the bnode closure from a resource, but in general I see
 > these are being dataset specific.

I had assumed that the fetch model just did bnode closure in a similar
way to Patrick's RDFQ 'concise bounded descriptions'. I will have to
look at it a bit closer.

To be honest, the joseki fetch idea fits in more with the way I see
veudas going. I particularly like Patrick Stickler's ideas about how
the semantic web should work (at least in bootstrap phase), with
conventions for obtaining information about a URI from the URI itself.

I'd like veudas to have a number of ways of obtaining information
about a resource (e.g. MGET, 301-Redirects, RDQL/SeRQL on well-known
stores), and to amalgamate the information for the user on one page.

 > > Also, I couldn't find any way to do case-insensitive string queries,
 > > so the label search function is case sensitive for Joseki.
 > > I may have missed something, so if anybody knows how to do either of
 > > these things please drop me a mail.
 >
 > There is the =~ operator which does regex matching perl style, including //i
 > for cse insentive matching.
 >
 > WHERE (?x foaf:name ?z)
 > AND ?z =~ /smith/i

Magic - many thanks for this.

 > > Also in this release is the ability to swap between stores of
 > > different types - e.g. you can switch from a sesame to joseki or
 > > cgi-file store and back again in the same session. RDF Stores are
 > > configured via an XML file (which is different from the previous
 > > release, so it's worth looking at the docs).
 >
 > I found using RDF/N3 for config files very good.  Not its (N3) design goal!.

I'd like to use N3, but I don't know of a javascript N3/turtle
parser. XML is simple hack to solve this problem at the moment.

Thanks again for replying,

Phil