Re: Correct Owl representation

Monika Solanki (monika@dmu.ac.uk) schrieb am 26.09.2003:
>(...)
><Lens>
>    <focal-length>75-300mm zoom</focal-length>
>   <f-stop>4.5-5.6</f-stop>
></Lens>
>
>Would the above be incorrect representation in OWL ?
>
>Would it be correct to do it like this
>
><Lens>
>    <focal-length rdf:datatype="&xsd;string">75-300mm zoom</focal-length>
>   <f-stop rdf:datatype="&xsd;string">4.5-5.6</f-stop>
></Lens>
>
>If this is correct, then what is the rationale behind specifying range
>as "String" in defining the property ?

you are right. properties of individuals always need the additional
datatype when serialized as RDF/XML (section 6.1 of [1]). I think the
reason is the "RDF/XML" format. You can define the range at the ontology
level, but this is separate from the instance level as the rdf:datatype
attribute seems to be required if you want to write _typed_ literals
(section 2.9 of [2]). I'm not sure but this could be the reason for the
redundancy, just to make sure that rdf parsers don't handle the property
values as plain literals.

hope that helps..

regards,
benjamin