Re: Announcement: The "info" URI Scheme

On 1 Oct 2003 at 11:42, Garret Wilson wrote:

> While I have a long history of agreeing with Patrick, I don't know that
> I like this idea. Note that I'm not necessarily agreeing with the info:
> proposal below, just reacting to the "everything http:" statement. (I
> also have a hunch that the things I will soon say will be old news and
> will have been discussed for years on the RDF lists when I wasn't looking.)

I'm in complete agreement here, too.  The "everything http" faction
seems to be a close relative of the "everything .com" faction of
domain name usage, whereby people insist that all sorts of Web sites
ought to have .com addresses, regardless of whether some other TLD
would make more logical sence (e.g., for a site that's
noncommercial), because "everybody expects that", plus "browsers
automatically fill it in".

In this way, as everybody goes for the quick-fix of doing what's well
known and well supported now in preference to what's more logical but
less familiar, the net gets dumbed down and the namespaces are
impoverished because only a small subset is in active use, and is
often abused.

--
Dan