Re: Define a property to have an EMPTY range ... use owl:Nothing?

From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
Subject: Define a property to have an EMPTY range ... use owl:Nothing?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:30:35 -0400

> Hi Folks,
>
> Oscar Corcho sent me an interesting idea - use owl:Nothing to represent
> EMPTY, e.g.,
>
>     <rdf:Property rdf:ID="secret">
>         <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Document"/>
>         <rdfs:range rdf:resource="&owl;Nothing"/>
>     </rdf:Property>
>
> A very interesting idea!  Are there any drawbacks to this?  Does it
> achieve the desired result of requiring secret to have an EMPTY range,
> e.g.,
>
>     <Document>
>         <secret/>
>     </Document
>
> /Roger

There are definitely drawbacks.

The above is still not correct RDF.  Further, it can't be corrected to
achieve a consistent OWL ontology, even as in something like

  <Document>
   <rdfs:subClassOf>
     <owl:Restriction>
       <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#secret" />
       <owl:minCardinality rdf:datatype="&xsd;nonNegativeInteger">1</owl:minCardinality>
     </owl:Restriction>
   </rdfs:subClassOf>
  </Document>

peter