Re: Weakness in the Semantic Web?

You couldn't be more right Frank ;-)

-- ,

                    Frank Manola
                    <fmanola@mitre.org>         To:     "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
                    Sent by:                    cc:     www-rdf-interest@w3.org
                    www-rdf-interest-requ       Subject:     Re: Weakness in the Semantic Web?
                    est@w3.org

Response A:  I don't see how we can possibly respond to the message,
since under the assumptions of the message, there needs to be universal
agreement on the definitions of the words being used, and there isn't
universal agreement, and certainly not in the context of this message,
on the meaning of "weakness", "Semantic Web", "definitions", or
"process" (among other things).

Response B:  It seems to me lots of processes (and I'm talking about
software processes here, not human processes) will get along just fine
with less than total agreement on the definitions of terms.  In
particular, lots of processes get along just fine even though it may
turn out that there are subtle differences in the definitions being
assumed by the various parties;  maybe issues that would bring those
differences to the surface just don't come up during that processing.
Obviously we want to get common agreement on definitions.  But imagining
the whole Semantic Web will break down if the agreements reached are
less-than-perfect is, IMHO, more a rhetorical device than a serious
argument.

--Frank