Re: Do resources have representations?

Benja Fallenstein wrote:

> Are you saying that "denote a resource" is the *only* thing that a URI
> does?

I think that is correct. Think of a URI as an ID string obeying the RFC
2396 syntax rules.

> Then how can it be that two URIs that denote the *same* resource can
> give me *different* representations when I put them into my browser?

URIs have no special meaning in RDF. They are not supposed to locate or
retreive something as far as the spec goes, AFAIK. Two URIs can be used
to denote the same thing but this is the same as an object having two
IDs. Two handles for the same object.

> I.e., every time I go to <http://example.org/1434> I see one particular
> page, and every time I go to <http://example.net/~foo/bar> I see another
> particular page, yet the two URIs identify the same resource.
>
> How do you explain this?

The two URLs that are used to denote a resource are of interest to the
RDF model as identifiers (but not locators). If these two URLs just
happen to locate something when you enter them in your browser? Well,
that has nothing to do with RDF directly...

--
Manos Batsis

http://www.netsmart.gr
mbatsis at netsmart dot gr