Re: What does a URL identify: pragmatic approach

Brian McBride wrote:

> Pragmatically speaking, is this a good model to follow?

Supporting such a model may become a real pain as mappings are not
stable. I think standards like RDF should not get into this. If an
application needs to be aware of the relationships between URIs as you
have demonstrated, building such a mechanism (e.g. a set of properties
in RDF) is easy. The difficult part is controlling the accuracy of those
  mappings through time and change. Web application/server behavior is
another factor, as a web server may serve different documents for the
same URI depending on the client. How can you cover all the
possibilities in a usefull way?

> And architecturaly, I'm left wondering whether there is a useful
> generalization built around the fact that many web servers allow GET's
> on one URL to be mapped to a different URL.

I think we need something bigger to place that upon. RDDL was a good
start. Something that documents a resource, it's type, whether it's
retreivable, static or dynamic, possible URI mappings or relationships
and the conditions under which those mappings are valid etc. Loads and
loads of work in this one.

Manos