RE: Trust, Context, Justification and Quintuples

I note that contextID behaves very different semantically from the
subject/predicate/object.

I suggest that instead of a quadruples or quintuples approach that this
difference in semantics is better reflected by naming graphs (sets of
triples).

In work I am doing with Patrick Stickler we present contexts as a map from
nodes to graphs, where the nodes (uriref or blank) act as the name of the
graph. This explicitly is a quoting mechanism, and is trivially
transformable into quads but with clearer differences in semantic intent.
e.g.

For many trust applications (e.g. digital signature) I need to have locally
complete knowledge. If I have quads

ID, a, b, c
ID, a1, b1, c1
ID, a2, b2, c2

whose to say that there is not another quad somewhere

ID, a3, b3, c3.

But if I have a map including

ID => { < a, b, c >
        < a1, b1, c1 >
        < a2, b2, c2 > }

then it is clear that ID is not related to <a3 b3 c3>.

Also we can avoid the problems with reification not being a quoting
mechanism since this graph naming explicitly *is* a quoting mechanism (up to
graph equivalence, as defined in RDF Concepts).

Jeremy

stpapers/iswc03-infrastructure-web-explanations.pdf

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact