RE: Alternatives to XML for RDF?

For RDF, the use of XML does not actually invite the use
of XML tools such as above, as they cannot be used
effectively for arbitrary RDF/XML schemas.

This is because there is an N:1 relation between RDF/XML
instances and graphs. While one may work to normalize
the RDF/XML in various ways, the effort to do so safely
(per the RDF MT) is usally equal to or greater than
parsing the RDF/XML into a graph, so why bother.

Operating directly on RDF/XML is a bad idea. One should
always deal with an RDF graph -- and once you've gotten
to the graph, the XML is gone, and is no longer an issue.

The one tool that might be used effectively with RDF/XML is
an XML editor that simply does well-formedness checking. You
can't do actual XML validation, because you can't write a
DTD or XML Schema for RDF (it's element and attribute
name sets are infinite).

RDF/XML is actually more like a set of architectural
forms than an XML content model.

The W3C would do well to consider adoption of either a
subset of N3, limited to the expressiveness of RDF/XML,
or a completely revamped, and XML Schema defined XML
serialization.

I don't think there are many, if any, fans of RDF/XML.
It is a means to an end (the graph) and a pretty ugly
and problemmatic means at that.

That's a pity, because alot of folks get turned off by
the XML serialization and miss the real beauty and
power of RDF (there's probably a classic fairy tale
in there somewhere ;-)

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler