Re: ANN: (Revised) OWL-Quick-Intro

At 20:34 21/04/2003 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
>Something of an aside that I might announce properly when more polished,
>but which relates somewhat to your device-description use case, I spent
>some time today working with some UAProf / CC/PP device descriptions in RDF,
>working notes on which can be found at
>http://esw.w3.org/topic/UAProfIndex in the ESW wiki. I harvested device
>descriptions from http://w3development.de/rdf/uaprof_repository/ and loaded
>them into an RDF store, trying queries such as
>[[
>   SELECT ?model, ?vendor, ?size, ?doescolor, ?doesimages, ?doestextin, ?hwp,
>     WHERE
>       (prf::Model ?hwp ?model)
>       (prf::Vendor ?hwp ?vendor)
>       (prf::ScreenSize ?hwp ?size)
>       (prf::ColorCapable ?hwp ?doescolor)
>       (prf::ImageCapable ?hwp ?doesimages)
>       (prf::TextInputCapable ?hwp ?doestextin)
>    USING
>       prf for http://www.wapforum.org/profiles/UAPROF/ccppschema-20010430#
>]]
>
>...this is more for mobile phones than cameras, but I suspect
>http://www.w3.org/TR/di-princ/ and nearby might be of interest. After I
>built an aggregation of these descriptions the first thought I had was
>that with a bit more additional metadata they'd be quite good for
>building an online store, eg. 'find me something with such'n'so
>capabilities, color, screensize etc of type s:CameraPhone that works in
>the UK and costs less that 200ukp...

I'll note, in passing, that there's a big conceptual difference between
matching a description (query) against a database of known cases (which as
you have seen is pretty much a standard database query), and taking two
descriptions and figuring if they match.

Maybe this is obvious to you.  But when I tried, long time ago, to figure
doing content negotiation in Prolog, I couldn't understand why I wasn't
getting the significant help from the Prolog language that I expected,
until I realized this distinction, and that Prolog's underlying processing
model is more like a database query.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>