Re: Summary (I mean it this time): URIs : How to find the ontologies behind them

From: "Eli Israel" <Eli@SemanticWorld.Org>
Subject: Summary (I mean it this time): URIs : How to find the ontologies behind them
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:50:07 +0300

> Ok, I think I am ready to summarize this thread.
>

> It is a given that the URIs in an RDF/OWL document serve only as unique
> identifiers.  One can not infer meaning from the content or stucture of the
> URIs.  Similarly, the URI  need not be a valid web address, and if it is, it
> need not point to anything having to do with the ontology.  Likewise,  the
> web authority has no obligation to present, in any way, information about
> the URIs that refer to it.

Not all web addresses, and not even all http: addresses, have any chance of
having any ``authority''.

> That being said, we agree that it would be a good idea for the web authority
> refered to in the URI of a resource to provide information about that
> resource, either at the address pointed to by the URI, or through another
> mechanism.

Provided that there is single such an organization, yes, this is a good
idea.  In fact, even in the absence of an authority, it is a good idea to
have information concerning a URI reference accessible in some standard
fashion.

> However, even if an authority provides information about a resource, it can
> not be seen as either authoritative or complete.  Information about the
> resource garnered from other sources should be given equal weight.  The
> provision of information by the web authority is, then, a technical
> convenience, and nothing more.

This I agree with totally, except that in some circumstances, one might
want to make this information ``first among equals''.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Eli Israel
> www.SemanticWorld.Org

peter