RE: Q to implementers: Resource identifiers - XML Namesand/or(concatenated) URIs? (was RE: rdfs.isDefinedBy...)

> From: Thomas B. Passin [mailto:tpassin@comcast.net]

> [Manos Batsis]>
> >
> > RDF will not be visible if injected in none visible
> element(<head> for
> > example). There is no need to invent a tag to include XML
> one does not
> > want to be displayed; simply use CSS (as XHTML dictates for
> presentation
> > info) setting the RDF container element's display property to none.
> >

> Just give up on non-CSS aware browsers, then?

Come on Tom, CSS is already compatible with lots more software than a
new tag will probably ever be. Besides, my point (answering to Frank
Manola's suggestion) was that, as things are today, we really don't need
a new tag; we have a wide variety of options bringing confusion already.
Two more points you may have missed in reading my post in a hurry:

  1) XHTML wants separation of content and presentation information; it
dictates CSS as a medium for rendering directions.
  2) You can also put your RDF somewhere in the head section of the
document; it will not be displayed by html aware browsers.

Also, RDF data like DCMI can easily be transformed to <meta> elements
[1], although I personally dislike the idea. For *embedded* RDF metadata
I would prefer XHTML m12n in XML Schema [2] (no flames please ;-). The
zip at [3] provides a really good and easy to modify schema for related
work.

IMHO, external metadata provide more benefits; modularization always
makes things more tidy and flexible. A <link rel="meta">  element is
more than good enough for me right now and does not break validation
either.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-m12n-schema
[3]