From: www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Adam van den Hoven
Sent: 19 February 2002 22:56
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Subject: Using RDF for controlling navigation structure

Hey all,

I'm trying dive into the deep end of the RDF pool and I need some help.

I'm trying design (unless someone has done it already and wants to share) an
RDF Schema that will allow me to describe the entire navigation hierarchy of
my websites. Each point in the hierarchy needs to list the source of data to
be used in various roles (for instance the main content, marketing callout,
stock data) and the XSL transforms that are going to apply to the data.
Further, each piece of data is going to be of a certain type, defined
elsewhere. These types are shared across all websites. Each type will
typically have default renderings for a particular role. Each website will
want to override or add their own rendering for existing or new roles. Each
individual piece of data may also override the rendering choices only for
itself.

Typically, the XSL that will be set at the navigation level will only be
concerned with positioning the various roles on the "screen" (header at top,
followed by main navigation, marketing callouts and related links along the
left side, Stock quote and interest rates along the side).  The content
level XSL will be concerned with how to render the data in a particular
role, irregardless of where it ends up in the over all layout.

Since creating a single page may very well be a complex piece of work, using
many passes through an XSL Transform engine, I may also want to keep
reference to the stored output of a particular step.

If this makes any sense and you have any suggestions on how to do this, I'd
love to hear from you.

Thanks for you help.
Adam van den Hoven

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com