Re: Another fragment issue

On 18 May 2001 15:58:23 +0100, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> > Some document in DI claims that there is no fundamental
> > difference btw URIs and URI refs. [...]
>
> Hmm... maybe you're reading a totally different set of TimBL's
> DesignIssues to me.

It's a shame I don't find it now, but I really thought I read that one
day :)
It surprised me just as much as you, however.

> How could there be no fundamental difference
> between URIs and URI refs? The complication (annoyance) is that in
> RDF, a "resource" can be identified by a URI or a URI-Ref, whereas in
> the URI RFC, a resource is what's identified by a URI, and a URI-Ref
> is a "view" of that resource. It was a bit foolish to reuse the same
> word for a different concept.

I'm not sure the concept of resource is different between URI and RDF.
According to the document you quote below, its is just that RDF uses
URIs in a strange way :

although URIs were first used to locate digital documents,
it seems that with the SW, they vill be used to identify virtually
anything with an identity.
Indeed, any kind of URI scheme could be imagined to do so

  http://www.w3.org/    : a generic digital document
  urn:isbn:123456       : a published document
  urn:wordnet:freedom/1 : freedom according to WordNet (def #1)

Instead, most RDF'ers seem to prefer identifying non-HTTP resources with rdf:ID, like

  http://www.isbn.org/numbers#123456
  http://www.wordnet.org/definitions#freedom-1

which can be read as "what ISBN calls 123456" and "what WordNet calls freedom-1".
This makes any URI scheme other than HTTP useless,
since RDF can be transported over HTTP.
Not a bad idea indeed.

However, there is the fragment issue :
although http://www.isbn.org/numbers is supposed to be (possibly) generic,
the use of the fragment makes it bound to have an RDF content.

More embarassing,
this makes talking about isbn:123456 or freedom dependant:
- on RDF, which may very well evolve over time
- on HTTP, which may also evolve over time
- on retrieval processes

  Pierre-Antoine