Re: Representing quantification in RDF

From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

> > > I don't have any problem with any reasonable syntax for
quantification.
> > > The problem is, as usual, in providing a meaning for the syntactic
> > > constructs.  How are you proposing to do that?
> >
> > By also representing the behavior of the system in the same "syntactic
> > constructs".
>
> And how are you going to ground this?  There is no connection between
> syntax and behavior unless you have some active component in the
formalism,
> and there is no such component in RDF or RDFS.

Every computer has "active components";  they are called programs.  Any
program can be given a URI;  therefore it can be referred to from the
"syntactic formalism" of an RDF graph.  We should be able to easily design a
schema in RDF to point to object oriented programs that would implement any
known behavior such as the computing of inferred statements.

Seth