RE: relational mapping?

Thanks, this certainly looks like a way in - and you're right, the
terminology does sound straight out of DAML.
I've opted for a lazier approach to the problem (RDBMS -> JDBC -> Objects ->
RDF-XML), but as I'm trying to learn a bit of logic I'll still be taking a
look. ERL? E-R logic maybe?

As far as the logic & RDBMS stuff is concerned, there does seem to be a
whole load of potential - pretty much anything you like (1st order anyway, I
guess) as long as you use the relational model as your starting point rather
than a DB vendor's wizard. I was sceptical of some of the criticism of SQL &
commercial RDBMS by the relational purists, until I came across 'Writing
Complex SQL Queries that Require Universal Quantifiers' [1] (SQL has EXISTS,
but it still gets messy). Now I agree - SQL is a hack. Even though the
syntax of XQuery [2] brought back memories of coding for a Commodore PET, at
least the designers appear (to this untrained eye) to have addressed the
fundamentals.

[1] http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~kawash
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery

---