Re: What is the URI of Truth?

On 08 Jun 2001 17:31:25 +0100, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> I don't particularly agree that it is a
> critical apect of the SW to be able to define non-ambiguous interplay
> between different namespacing mechanisms,

I'm not sure I get your point here:
You seem to distinguish XML-namespaces from RDF-namespaces.

I do not know what *a* RDF-namespace is : RDF only knows of *one*
namespace : URIs.

A problem with XML-namespaces is that are not part of the URI-space, but
rather of the a space which elements are <uri, xml-name> pairs. Hence
the mapping-by-concatenation issue.
This problem is proper to the RDF 1.0 XML syntax, because it needs to
convert Qnames to URIs. I agree it is not critical to the SW.

Another problem with XML-namespaces is that, in current practice, their
is a semantical ambiguity with the URI identifying them (can an http:
URI identify a namespace ?).
This problem, IMHO, is critical in many respects, since it raises
questions about the semantics of URIs. There is no "interplay between
different namespacing mechanisms" as you wrote: URIs are the global
namespace of the SW.

  Pierre-Antoine