Re: Poll: RDF Use Cases

FWIW, I have an IETF Internet Draft that defines an XML-based message
format, importing RFC822 semantics.  I'm re-working that to be
RDF-compliant;  we are planning to use this (revised) format for the email
archive mentioned.

The current draft, not RDF-compliant, is at
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-message-rfc822-xml-00.txt.
I plan to have a revision out soon that:
(a) separates RFC822 headers from the basic message format, and
(b) makes the message headers part RDF compliant
(c) does a better job of structuring the address information to be more useful.

#g
--

At 10:36 AM 1/9/01 +0100, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Graham Klyne wrote:
>
> > I concur with your two use-cases (especially the first, though one might
> > say it's rather widely drawn).  Some more I'll offer:
> >
> > * Message archive mining (this is a particular use for your first
> > case):  creating a metadata store linked to an email archive, with
> metadata
> > obtained from protocol elements (RFC822 message headers and SMTP
> envelope),
> > content scanning (e.g. keywords, file types) and other sources (e.g.
> > retention policy).  This might be used for many things, including
> assisting
> > retrieval of old messages from the archive.
>
>FWIW, that's the kind of application we're planning on setting up here.
>RDF and a set of rules would be used to aggregate different data sources.
>Kind of "dynamic hypertext" where links between documents (HTML, XMl, text
>e-mail, etc.) are drawn depending on the relations infered from the RDF
>data found in the DB.
>
>Would anyone want to share experience on this topic ?
>
>--
>Nicolas Chauvat
>
>http://www.logilab.com - "Mais oł est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris
>(France)