Re: RDF data model: too flat?

It sounds like you're arguing for some distinction such as that between
'intrinsic' and 'extrinsic' properties of an object. If you're not, it
might be that properties that have literal (non-URI /
non-Resource) values would be much the same sub-set of properties as
your 'attributes'. Either way, it's a hard distinction to make
in a water-tight fashion (eg. Philosophers have bickered for centuries
about such things as whether 'colour' is intrinsic or relational),
particularly when the Web architecture encourages us to use URI-namable
objects whenever possible.

Rather than extend the core RDF model to deal with
intrinsic-vs-relational properties, such distinctions might be layered
on. For example, a sub-class of rdf:Property called
rdfutil:IntrinsicProperty. This sort of distinction I'm sure would prove
useful for many applications (eg. user interface generation), but I
can't personally see a need for it to be in the core data model itself.

Dan