Re: Subclass of Thing/Resource

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Guha wrote:

> Tim,
>
>  I think many of these questions center around
> precisely defining what an RDF Resource Identifier
> is supposed to be.
>
>    I agree that we need to distinguish between RDF
> Resource identifiers and URIs. A URI is a pretty formal object
> (protocol + host + opaque string) whose definition pretty
> concretely  constrains what can have a URI. By
> this definition, people, places, etc. cannot have URIs.

Sorry Guha, you're quite definitively wrong on this last claim. I agree
that we need more clarifications in this area, but the URI spec (as referenced
from RDF Model and Syntax) is very clear on this point:

From http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2396.txt

[begin excerpt]

Network Working Group                                     T. Berners-Lee
Request for Comments: 2396                                       MIT/LCS
Updates: 1808, 1738                                          R. Fielding
Category: Standards Track                                    U.C. Irvine
                                                             L. Masinter
                                                       Xerox Corporation
                                                             August 1998
           Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax

[...]

	Abstract
	   A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact string of characters
	   for identifying an abstract or physical resource.  This document
	   defines the generic syntax of URI, including both absolute and
	   relative forms, and guidelines for their use; it revises and replaces
	   the generic definitions in RFC 1738 and RFC 1808.

[...]
      Resource
 	 A resource can be anything that has identity.  Familiar
         examples include an electronic document, an image, a service
         (e.g., "today's weather report for Los Angeles"), and a
         collection of other resources.  Not all resources are network
         "retrievable"; e.g., human beings, corporations, and bound
         books in a library can also be considered resources.

	 The resource is the conceptual mapping to an entity or set of
         entities, not necessarily the entity which corresponds to that
         mapping at any particular instance in time.  Thus, a resource
         can remain constant even when its content---the entities to
         which it currently corresponds---changes over time, provided
         that the conceptual mapping is not changed in the process.

[end excerpt]

>  On the other hand, it would be very convenient to have
> a unique canonical identifier for refering to the one TimBL
> or one RalphSwick. In my reading, this is what the RDF
> Resource ID is. Everything (including literals, URIs, ...) could
> potentially have one of these.

Maybe, though I don't see any scenario whereby we'll end up with unique
canonical identifiers for persons. Social/political/privacy issues
aside, it's just too hard to do. That said, mailboxes, national
insurance numbers etc allow us to say things like 'the person whose
util:personalMailbox is mailto:guha@epinions...', uniquely picking out a
flesh and blood person without (a) giving them a URI, (b) making a
category mistake and conflating them with their mailbox URI.

>   I do think it would be nice if an application can assume
> some kind of structure to these identifiers, but not being
> able to do so would not be fatal.
>
>  I agree with you that http://foo.org/bar.rdf#xyz is a lousy
> identifier for an object. To me, it just represents a position
> is a file.

'#' is a downright broken bit of web architecture. The '#' fragment/view
semantics are defined as being relative to the mime type of the
object. Since mime types can be content-negotiated, that's hairy since
a single URI plus '#' doesn't mean much without additional assumptions
about mime types.

For example,

http://www.w3.org/Icons/WWW/w3c_main
has both GIF and PNG mime-typed variants. So the semantics of
http://www.w3.org/Icons/WWW/w3c_main#foo can't be considered outside the
context of some HTTP transaction, since the mime type of the resource
isn't an instrinsic property of the resource identified.

details:

@mail:/users/pldab> telnet www.w3.org 80
	Trying...
	Connected to www.w3.org.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	HEAD /Icons/WWW/w3c_main HTTP/1.1
	Host: mybox.ilrt.bris.ac.uk
	Accept: application/x-fictional-mimetype

	HTTP/1.0 406 Not Acceptable