SV: URI equivalence, URI's for "standard" identifiers

I have been spending quite some time with two codes - ISIC rev 3 and CPC
v1.0.

http://www.un.org/Depts/unsd/class/website/isic3/i3_ind_a.htm

Both are available at the United Nations Statistics Division.  I assume that
they are the property of the United Nations but I also assume that they are
made available for public use.  The jokes on me if I am wrong.

These codes are not islands.  They have  relatationships, alignments and
degrees of mapability to a world wide family of statistical codes such as
NAICE (btw used by Biztalk), SICs, SNAs, CTUA and TUS SITC and on and on.
The lines of transversion are:

a. timelined, e.g.

comparing economic activity of 1900 with that of 2000

b. framed, - similar activities performed in different frames e.g..

sawing trees as a gardener or sawing trees as a woodsman.

c. cultured, e.g..

An office manager in Borneo - an office manager in Sweden

d. languaged, e.g..

Lang=se Dirigent - Lang=en Conductor

I have lengthfuly dreamed about getting these codes and all their brothers
and sisters, aunts and cousins,  timelined, framed, cultured and translated
into a manageable schema, a veritable jungle-jim of nodes and arcs fanning
out from tight precision lockups to fuzzy disintegration, but alas who will
do the job?? Not you - right?

And as we venture out into Europe with the SKiCal initiative...

( see SKiCal at INRIA on FEB 15 http://www.w3.org/Mobile/posdep-workshop ),
we are constantly encountering projects attempting to create naming
conventions out of the blue as if there were not already a barn load in
existence.

Even CEN, with their TC 329/WG 2 N 69,  burning up EU money, as if there
didn't already exist a standard for tourist activities to build upon.  Or
check out these guys: 20 mil ECUs down the drain

http://www.caib.es/ibit/projecte/intourisme/ingles/kgeneral.html

Instead of helping to standardize and metatag European tourist resources,
they are building a "portal" with a proprietary naming convention and term
list.

Back to earth - in lieu of the future, this is what we do for now.  Knowing
that ISIC rev. 3 and CPC v 1.0  are (or are supposed to be) translated to
every language of the United Nations...

<SKiCal>
	<WHAT>
		<CODE system="CPC v.1">94310 Runways, vacuuming of </CODE>
		<TITLE>Sonnesons</TITLE>...

Does anybody know a better way of providing 153 automatic translations of a
very esoteric service, let me know?

or

<SKiCal>
	<WHO> <DIPROLE system="ISIC rev. 3">9214 ghostwriters,
independent</DIPROLE>
		<DIPNAME>Mark Fischetti</DIPNAME>...

Is not that a great start for the semantic web?

Greg

http://www.w3.org/WAI
21 Mitchell Street, Footscray, VIC 3011,  Australia