Re: ANNOUNCE: Xpetal UML to RDF Tool

Arnold deVos writes:
 > This is to announce Xpetal, a tool for translating UML to RDF.  More
 > specifically, Xpetal accepts Rational Rose petal model files and generates
 > RDF where UML attributes and association roles are mapped to RDF properties.
 > A HTML representation of the model is also produced.

I am working on something similar, except taking XMI documents as
input (specifically XMI1.0 for UML1.3).  My aim is a little different
from that of Xpetal.  I am interested in providing a convenient Java
API Java for serialising instance data that is encoded according to an
ontology modelled using UML.  This is because XMI does not provide a
good solution for sending instances rather than models.  What is
needed is a way of generating an ontology-specific serialisation
format.  To do this I am developing a pair of XSLT stylesheets that
produce from an XMI document:

a) a set of Java classes and interfaces corresponding to those
   in the UML model, and

b) an RDF schema corresponding to (the main features of) the UML
   model.

The Java classes include methods to marshal and unmarshal objects to
and from an RDF/XML serialisation that references the generated RDF
schema.

I plan to polish this a bit and then release it sometime in the next
month.  When I do I'll announce it in this newsgroup.

- Stephen

Stephen Cranefield                     Until 5 January 2001:
Department of Information Science        Network Computing Group, NRC
University of Otago                      Room 286, M-50
PO Box 56, Dunedin                       Montreal Road, Ottawa ONT,
New Zealand                              K1A OR6, Canada
                                         Phone: 1 613 993 2535
                                         Fax:   1 613 952 7151
E-mail: scranefield@infoscience.otago.ac.nz, Stephen.Cranefield@nrc.ca