RE: RDFm section 4.1 ambiguity

Hi Bill,

Well, I'm hoping this won't stimulate too much traffic
on the list.

I think m&s got caught up some ambiguity in its use of
terminology, particularly the word "model".

There is models in the sense of represents and models in
the sense of describes.

The reification of a statement S is defined to be the set of
four triples defining the statement's type, subject,
predicate and object.  This collection of statements models
S in that it describes some useful facts about it.

However, when we wish to assert something about a statement,
e.g. [Brian, denies, S], the object of that statement is
not the collection of statements that is the reification of
S, but a single resource.  That single resource models S
in the sense that it represents it - anything stated about
that resource is being stated about S.

In the first sentence you quote, I suggest "model" is used
in the sense of "representative".  In the last sentence it
is used in the sense of "description".

I wholeheartedly agree with you that an editorial change to
clarify this would be a good thing.

Brian