Re: ontology & careers?

"S. Champ" wrote:
> I'm wondering, then, how folks might say that Ontology comes into-usage
> in "the workplace" ( boiler-room, cafeteria-line, hospital,
> research-institute, or otherwise ).
> and is it a definite & seperate discipline?

VerticalNet, the B2B ecommerce company, recently hired someone
with the title of "Chief Ontologist" and are trying to hire
lots more people to build and maintain ontologies.  CommerceOne's
eCo framework has a strong ontology orientation.  Cycorp
(www.cyc.com) has been hired by hotbot to enhance their search engine
with the Cyc ontology and had established a new division focused on ecommerce
(www.e-cyc.com).  The right skills to have, IMHO, include databases
(especially design) and knowledge representation.

--
 Tim Finin, Prof Computer Science & Elect Eng, Director Inst. for Global
 Electronic Commerce, Univ of Maryland Baltimore Cty, 1000 Hilltop, Baltimore