RE: naming labelled instances

Hi Kevin,

Sure, it makes sense to use a base namespace in a schema, but its a little
harder to know what to do in instance data. What I am trying to understand
is what is best practice for creating controlled vocabularies. Here rather
than having a set of controlled vocabularies ahead of data ingest e.g. for
validation, we are creating the vocabularies during ingest. So we want
namespace collisions to occur if we are referring to the same thing, but if
namespace collisions occur and they are not referring to the same thing we
have a problem.

For example in the faceted browse tool for schemas John G put together, one
of the facets was namespace and another was fragment. So this tool (with a
bit of work) would let you browse all the topics or the geographies on a
property by property basis. However this is done by virtue of the URI, which
feels like cheating.

Another way to do this would be to create two classes, say TopicValues and
GeographicValues, and then say each property value is a class and subclass
it to the appropriate class. This would declare the controlled vocabulary in
a RDFS way. The only problem is in RDFS there is no way to distinguish
between classes that have properties e.g. are used for instances and classes
that are property values.

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com