Re: naming labelled instances

As a rule, what I see in other documents is an entity defined to hold
the base name of each namespace, and everything else is based on that
entity.  In IMS for example I find this:

<!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
         <!ENTITY rdf      'http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'>
         <!ENTITY rdfs     'http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#'>
         <!ENTITY dc       'http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>
         <!ENTITY dcterms  'http://purl.org/dc/terms/'>
         <!ENTITY lom      'http://ltsc.ieee.org/2002/09/lom-base#'>
         <!ENTITY lom-edu  'http://ltsc.ieee.org/2002/09/lom-educational#'>
]>

The only difference from your example is that the author IMS tends to
prefer dash over underbar, and prefixes each name with the name of the
overall schema.  If you were to follow the same naming 'id' would be
'vra-id', source would be 'vra-source', etc.

Cheers,
-kls

Butler, Mark wrote:

>Hi team,
>
>At the teleconference last week we discussed that sometimes it is
>advantageous to name common property values with URIs, then use labels to
>give textual versions of those property values. I've added this to the
>Artstor stylesheet, and I've been using Brownsauce to investigate the data
>as Eric suggested. However does anyone have any recommendations on how to
>name these URIs? At present I am using a schema namespace of
>
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/schemas/artstor-06oct#
>
>and various property value namespaces e.g.
>
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/id#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/source#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/image_id#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/object_id#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/mediafile#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/resolution#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/mediafileformat#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/collection#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/creator#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/material#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/recordType#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/site#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/geographic#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/format#
>http://www.dspace.org/simile/metadata/artstor/topic#
>
>with the property value coming after the hash.
>
>Now ignoring the question of the correct stem for the namespace, which we
>also discussed at the telecon, I'm not sure if I have chosen my fragements
>and namespaces correctly. Is it good practice to do it this way? Would it be
>better to have the property value type after the hash and have a single
>namespace? Alternatively is the schema we use for namespacing a irrelevance,
>and as long as we don't have namespace collision is everything ok?
>
>One "nice to have" would be to browse by topics e.g. list all the topics in
>this dataset. However this would seem to require subclass relations, right?
>Or is there another way of doing this?
>
>kind regards
>
>Dr Mark H. Butler
>Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
>mark-h_butler@hp.com
>Internet: http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");