RE: More History comments

> Tansley, Robert wrote:
>
> >This looks fine, until you actually try and change something.  Say I
> >add a new bitstream, BITS2, to BND1.  I've shown this in that nasty
> >orange colour.  This obviously consistutes a change in BND1;
> you can't
> >just draw another hasPart arc between BND1:1 and BITS2:1, since you
> >would never be able to tell that BND1 in one situation
> contained only
> >BITS1.  So, you create a new situation for BND1, called BND1:2, and
> >have hasPart arcs between that and BITS1:1 and BITS2:1.
> (This assumes
> >that the situation of BITS1 is not changed by virtue of the
> fact that
> >the Bundle it is in has changed.)
> >

> This is only a problem for content based identifiers (see my rambling
> answer to Mark).  When using resource identifiers the two
> instances of
> BND1:1 are distinct, so there is no confusion between the two chains.
>
> Collapsing all nodes that have the same contents by using
> content based
> identifiers is an invalid optimization, as this use case shows (among
> others.)

Hi Kevin,

I'm afraid I really don't understand what you've said here.  Which response to Mark are you talking about?  BND1:1 is a single node in the graph.  So you might have in two separate parts of the History data,

BND1:1  -- hasPart -->  BITS1:1

BND1:1  -- hasPart -->  BITS2:1

By definition, aren't the two BND1:1's the same node?  Do I have some serious misunderstanding about the basics of RDF here?

 Robert Tansley / Hewlett-Packard Laboratories / (+1) 617 551 7624