ebXML Registry and SIMILE project?

Butler, Mark wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have come across this page
>http://desire.ukoln.ac.uk/registry/
>as it is cited in Heery and Patels' paper "Application profiles: mixing and
>matching metadata schemas" in Ariadne. I am interested in this area because
>I am working on a project with similar aims called SIMILE, see
>http://web.mit.edu/simile
>
>Are there any other resources available about this project?  What is the
>current status of the project?

This is not directly related to DESIRE project so I changed the subject
to start a new thread...

I would like to explore within the SIMILE project the use of ebxmlrr [1]
which is a royalty free OASIS ebXML Registry standard [2]. A recent
presentation on ebxmlrr from XML Europe 2003 is available [3].

The ebXML Registry is a general purpose content management system. Work
is underway to add first class support for RDF and OWL content.

ebxmlrr could potentially be used as a metadata and content management
solution in a project such as SIMILE and enhanced based upon project
requirements within open source.

Some salient features of the current version of ebxmlrr and ebXML
Registry Standard are:
- Registry + Repository
- Uniform Identification of any type of objects (urn:uuid:...)
- Very few polymorphic verbs (similar to TupleSpaces like Linda,
JavaSpaces, ...).
- Polymorphic, extensible and reflective object model
- Dynamic metadata support (Slots)
- Association between any two objects
- Classification of any type of objects
- Associations and Classifications are objects
- Taxonomy hosting, browsing and validation
- Service registration and discovery
- Registry packages to group any objects
- Event Archiving - complete audit trail
- Life cycle management of objects
- Flexible query options (Adhoc SQL92, XML Filter Queries)
- Cooperating registries (Federation, Replication, Remote Object references)
- Import / Export of registry content
- Event Notification
- Content management services (pluggable Metadata and Content-specific
Validation and Cataloging)
- Abstract interface – multiple web-based concrete bindings
- Concrete bindings for HTTP, SOAP, ebXML Messaging interfaces to registry
- Links to external content
- Service interfaces carry XML structures
- Security (XML-DSig for authentication, XACML for authorization)
- Native language (I18N) support

Is there interest in the SIMILE community to epxlore this further? Is
this the appropriate mailing list for this discussion? Thanks.

Links:

[1] ebxmlrr: Open Source ebXML Registry

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net

[2] ebXML Registry Standard