Re: SIMILE Research Drivers

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:37:16AM -0400, John S. Erickson wrote:

> Andy wrote and Kevin repied:
>
> >> On the semantic web, the client is programmatically
> >> accessing SIMILE, or by web page, so issues of client-side
> >> caching, change notification arise, as do security, and,
> >> potentially, charging and SLAs.
> >
> > This is the first I've heard of this.  I thought Simile
> > was a standard web architecture application, using a web
> > browser as the client.
>
> I *strongly* disagree with this definition of a "standard web architecture
> application," and the constraint SIMILE's use of web standards that it
> implies. The statement may be accurate if we mean a "de facto" standard web
> application, but the set of web "standards" most certainly do NOT limit
> clients to being browser-like; neither should SIMILE be so limited.
>
> If there truly is a difference in assumptions here, we better sort it out...

I was using the word 'standard' in the sense of 'de facto standard',
not in the sense of 'formal standard'.  I apologize for not making
myself clear.

So the question I am left with is: why do you think that Simile clients
should not be limited to web browsers?

I recognize the need to support distributed cache control of the
Simile metadata among the servers, but not between server and client.
Where does this need for a non-browser client come from, and why
does it not fit into one of the server to server distribution cases?

Cheers,
-kls
   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");