Re: SIMILE Research Drivers

Hi Andy,

Mick and I have been working on describing a demonstrator which
brings out some of the issues surrounding distribution (I've
been describing the distribution problem from Genesis' perspective,
and Mick has been translating into Simile's application domain.)

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 02:45:07PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
[...]
> The Semantic Web isn't a number of closed worlds so information from SIMILE
> will be reused by other systems, whether portals, client-end applications or
> something else.  The current document covers this.  The other way round is
> also interesting - how does SIMILE use semantic web information from
> elsewhere?  Library information can be ingested but what about dynamic
> information?
>
> Examples: schedules related to course material. Other papers in the same
> track or same session at a conference.

I think that the demo will address this.  The mechanism used for sharing
of external metadata should be similar to the mechanism used to share
metadata from other Simile installations.  If so then RDF becomes a
transport format; extraction and creation RDF from the data in the system
is through ingest and publish tools.

> On the semantic web, the client is programmatically accessing SIMILE, or by
> web page, so issues of client-side caching, change notification arise, as do
> security, and, potentially, charging and SLAs.

This is the first I've heard of this.  I thought Simile was a standard
web architecture application, using a web browser as the client.

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");