Re: some questions on RefactoringRDF draft

Hi Roland, I hope you don't mind if I CC the public
www-rdf-comments list with your questions, since they are good
and other users/WG-members might be interested in them.

On Monday, September 10, 2001, at 07:29  AM, Roland Schwaenzl wrote:
> 6.1 RDF and 4.2 Production RDF allow any typedNode as basic
> production rule.
>
> Does that imply an RDF processor MUST attempt to create tripels
> from any wellformed XML??
> How does an application determine WHERE to start processing for RDF??
> Can it just make arbitrary guesses with a given XML document??

This is a matter of some discussion among the working-group. It
seems the best way to do this is to look for the RDF namespace,
or have the user of your parser make it clear where the RDF
starts. However, the issue isn't closed yet.

> typedNodes MUST be prefixed by now.
>
> Does that imply RDF will NOT allow any kind of namespace defaults??

Hmm, perhaps the terminology could be clear here. Namespace
defaults are OK, as long as they are clearly defined. That is,
you need to have an xmlns="..." definition in your XML. Then the
nodes are prefixed in the Infoset, even if they don't have a
prefix in the XML. (This is rather confusing...)

> ALL attributes MUST be prefixed
>
> Does that imply an RDF processor MUST attempt to map all
> wellformed XML but will fail almost certainly??
>
> Maybe it's not ALL attributes, but just those, which are
> supposed to come from RDF??

Yes, a parser is only supposed to deal with the RDF portions of
a document.

> RDF M&S requires ALT containers non-empty. This restriction
> seems to be removed - intentionally??

Hmm, I was not aware of this issue. Brian, can you perhaps shed
some light here?

> Is rdf:RDF, rdf:Description to match the typedNode production
> rule prevented savely??

I'm not sure what you mean by prevented safely... Perhaps Dave
can elaborate.

> Thanks for clarification in advance.

Thanks for your comments.