Re: Comments on RDF Schema specification

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN wrote:

> Michel Klein wrote:
> > First, there was no way to overcome the restriction on the
> > rdfs:subClassOf statement, i.e. the restriction that no
> > cycles are allowed in the subsumption hierarchy.
>
> yes, there is :
> define a property oil:subClassOf which is a SUPERPROPERTY of
> rdfs:subClassOf, and which allows cycles !  You can still use
> rdfs:subClassOf if you know for sure that 2 classes are not
> equivalent, but if you are unsure (that is, if a cycle MAY
> occure), use oil:subClassOf.

This would solve the cycle-problem, yes. But there are a couple
of disadvantages to this approach:

 - a non-OIL-aware RDFS agent would not be able to understand
   that the oil:subClassOf relationship is essentially the same
   as rdfs:subClassOf. You would lose information on how the
   class hierarchy is built up.
 - a property is added that does not have any extra semantics,
   which we think is undesirable.

So basically, adding a oil:subClassOf relationship would be a
stop-gap measure. We thought it would be better to attack the
problem at the core ;)

Regards,

Jeen
--
                                                    Vrije Universiteit
Jeen Broekstra                 Dept. of Mathematics & Computer Science