Re: DTDs and RDF

DTDs are a kind of schema language for XML. They focus on the grammar of
the XML document. RDF works at a higher level. RDF schemas focus on the
relationships and types in the document. RDF is not "based on" a DTD,
but it does not disallow use WITH DTDs. You might use a DTD instead of
an RDF schema for compatibility with legacy applications or because you
want to drive a syntax-directed editor. You might use a schema instead
of a DTD when you don't care about the details of the markup but only
want the overall model to be correct.

 Paul Prescod

Hugh Field-Richards wrote:

> Hi
>
> My apologies in advance if all this has been covered elsewhere, I have
> looked in the
> mail archives but I have not seen anything there.
>
> My query concerns the use of DTDs with RDF. Is it intended that DTDs still
> form the
> basis for the syntax of RDF? I am assuming that, if XML is the underlying
> language
> for expressing RDF, then DTDs will underpin all things RDF (and Dublin Core
> etc. etc.).
>
> If DTDs are not going to be used, then do I assume that only well-formed
> meta-data
> is all that we can expect, rather than valid (in the DTD sense) meta-data?
> Are we
> going to rely on the schemas to take the place of DTDs (if such a thing is
> possible) ?
>
> Anyone got any comments on this?
>
> With thanks in advance
>
> Hugh F-R

> Dr Hugh S. Field-Richards
> Defence Evaluation and Research Agency,
> St Andrew's Road, Malvern, Worcs, WR14 3PS, UK
> Tel: ++1684 895075   Fax: ++1684 896113  Email: hsfr@hydra.dra.hmg.gb
>
> The views expressed above area entirely those of the writer and do not
> represent the views, policy or understanding of any other person or
> official body.

Bart: Dad, do I really have to brush my teeth?
Homer: No, but at least wash your mouth out with soda.