Re: More Work on iCalendar RDF Schema

At 08:06 AM 22/06/2001 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>W3CDTF doesn't use standard time zones -- it uses +/-hh:mm to designate
>the time zone. I'm not sure what would be more accurate, except for adding
>seconds (which I don't think there are any time zones that do...). So I
>don't think there's any accuracy lost.

The problem isn't that seconds aren't included, it's more that an
offset isn't a complete enough description of a timezone.

To give one example, the iCalendar VTIMEZONE includes daylight/standard
information. If I create an iCalendar recurring event that recurs every
day at a 12 noon EST, and has occurrences that fall on either side of a
daylight/standard shift, the UTC time-of-day of the occurrences on each
side of the shift will be different (some will be 5 hours behind UTC,
some will be 4).

Maybe iCalendar goes a bit over the top to ensure that timezone
information is unambiguous, in that it requires a VTIMEZONE to
be supplied within each object if the corresponding timezone is
used in that object (Globally unique Time Zone IDs are still being
discussed).

Also iCalendar allows floating times, which have no timezone (but are
not UTC- they mean a given time of day in the recipient's timezone).

--Alan