RE: Alternative calendars and holidays, moon phases etc. Was: announce: www-rdf-calendar mailing list

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Jan Grant wrote:

  On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > It needs a way of relating one clock to another that can be daisy-chained, so
  > I can get from yours to mine and back.

  I hate to say "that's a user-interface issue" - especially since that
  sentence isn't exactly accurate; see below.

No, I don't think it is accurate. I think it is a design decision about
whether we want a single point of reference or whether we can do without one
on the assumption that the distributed systems of reference will work. I
assert that we can do the latter, and that we can then use your proposed
single reference as just one possiblity in a distributed framework, and add
trust semantics to the user interfaces we create that allow me to choose
whether I trust the US navy as a keeper of that or whether I trust the
moon-tracking machine I want to install at home one day with the clockwork
backup, or whether I just believe my computer's clock all the time.

When people synchronise watches (see lots of old action movies...) they are
relying on the fact that the critical timing relationships among themmselves
are established. It may be that those are relativistic - for a far fetched
example I might indulge in some near-light-speed travel and need to know when
to call my Mum - but the system works either way, according to the needs that
I describe.

cheers

Charles