Re: XQuery Update Facility Working Drafts

From: John Snelson <john@doxological.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:57:20 +0000
To: Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>
CC: www-ql@w3.org

Michael Rys wrote:
> You should use a mechanism
> that is specific to your environment to insert documents. E.g. in SQL
> you would use the SQL INSERT or UPDATE statement to insert the XML
> document into a cell...

Unless, of course, you don't use a relational database and SQL/XML. It
is desirable to have a standard way to add and remove documents from a
collection - since there isn't currently a way to do this if you aren't
using SQL/XML. in my opinion, this is a major ommission from the current
XQuery Update specification. A lot of people out there are aiming to use
XQuery as their only database manipulation language.

John

--
John Snelson, XML Consultant           +44-1865-811184
Parthenon Computing Ltd                http://blog.parthcomp.com/dbxml