RE: gYear etc. datatypes

We've deliberately tried to keep the function library small this time round,
in the knowledge that it's easy to grow it later in response to real user
demand, whereas it's impossible ever to take things out.

It wouldn't be conformant to add functions or operators for these types to
your own implementation unless you did it using the defined extension
mechanisms in the language (e.g. you can define your own functions in your
own namespace).

For XSLT 1.0 there's a set of vendor-neutral extension functions specified
at www.exslt.org - these have the advantage that vendors can pick and choose
which of them they think are worth implementing, but if several vendors
implement the same function then they are portable across implementations.
It would be nice to see this kind of mechanism used for the kind of
extensions you are proposing.

I think most people on the WG felt that providing full support for the
xs:gYear family of types was over the top.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
(personal response)

  _____