RE: early version of the XML Query Test Suite

In my own test suites I've tended to use an approach where queries are
self-contained and there is no catalog; instead there are implicit
relationships between files based on naming conventions and ad-hoc control
files e.g. to specify whether source documents should be validated or not.
I've been using XQTS during its development and I have to say I've found the
catalog approach much more manageable than my previous ad-hoc system.

For my XSLT tests, I'm moving slowly to a middle ground: the catalog exists,
but is generated from data contained in the test files. This is easier to do
with XSLT, because stylesheets are XML and can therefore be queried and
transformed, and can contain XML metadata in a user-defined namespace. It's
hard to see how this could be made to work in XQuery except by the CDATA
approach, which to my mind would add more overhead than the free-standing
catalog.

The great advantage of having the catalog is that it forces test developers
to create metadata that conforms to some standard, which can be checked by
means of schema validation, and once you've done it it becomes easy to
perform operations on the test suite as a whole, such as finding all the
tests for a given error condition.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/